Industrial Relations – Community Sector Update | Melbourne | 28 March 2018
It seems like the ground rules for employing people properly are constantly changing. And that’s because they are constantly changing – through legislation, changes to awards and agreements, and case law that reinterprets the rules.
Getting your employment arrangements right is essential if you want to be able to focus your energy on the mission of your organisation. Getting your employment arrangements wrong can mean huge costs – not just money but also time, stress and reputation.
This short workshop provides
• an overview of key issues in the industrial relations system that affect the not for profit community sector; including
• an update on significant changes during 2016 and 2017; and
• a heads up about likely developments in 2018.
Specific topics include:
• The employment contract – basic principles and recent developments regarding fixed term employment
• The award system – using the right award, key award entitlements in the community sector, and changes arising from the review of modern awards including casual conversion
• Bargaining – processes and potential pitfalls, and strategic issues for the community sector
• Termination of employment – minimising the risk of unfair dismissal and general protections claims, including lessons from recent cases
The workshop will benefit anyone who manages people. It will provide a good introduction for new managers and managers who are new to the community sector, and a timely refresher and update for experienced managers, including HR professionals.
Registration and tea and coffee on arrival at 9.15am for a 9.30am start
PLEASE NOTE: To receive a discount when registering, you must be a member and signed in to your Jobs Australia website user account. Select the number of tickets required, and then go to the shopping cart at top of screen to checkout and finalise your ticket purchase. Please contact our office on 03 9349 3699 if you are experiencing difficulty registering or signing in.